I have been quilting since 1999 and have decided to keep an online journal of my quilts. In this way, I can document their history and preserve their memory for my family and future generations. Most of my quilts are made as gifts; and with few exceptions, I have taken pictures of my quilts with their recipient. I have also made many charity quilts for Project Linus, Wrapped in Hope and Quilts for Kids.

Please join me for my quilt parade!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Quilt #28 ~ Connie’s Quilt 2002

Connie’s Quilt 2002

When her youngest daughter was pregnant in 2002, my co-worker and BFF Brenda decided to make a quilt for her newest grandbaby and asked me to help her.  Never having quilted before, Brenda signed up for her first quilting class --the Rail Fence --at the Fabric Patch and asked me to sign up with her.  I had already taken the same class in 1999 so I chose to do something different this time.  Instead of making one large quilt, I made two smaller quilts.


The fabric kit I chose uses fabric with an Asian theme; the backing is a red fabric which represents good luck in the Chinese tradition.  The rail fence setting I used reminds me of Chinese lanterns.  Since my sister is a world traveler, I decided to give her one of the 2 quilts. The quilt measures 56” square and I used the “stitch in the ditch” method to quilt it.

Update:  I finally gave my sister her quilt -- thirteen years later!  On the day of my visit, we had a nice traditional Mexican family dinner, complete with pan dulce (sweet bread), menudo, carnitas, lengua, tamales, plus champurrado and hot chocolate.  We had a wonderful time filled with laughter and great memories. ~ November 7, 2015


No comments: