I have been quilting since 1999 and have decided to keep an online journal of my quilts. In this way, I can document their history and preserve their memory for my family and future generations. Most of my quilts are made as gifts; and with few exceptions, I have taken pictures of my quilts with their recipient. I have also made many charity quilts for Project Linus, Wrapped in Hope and Quilts for Kids.

Please join me for my quilt parade!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Quilt #40 ~ Auntie Rosie’s Quilt 2003

Auntie Rosie’s Quilt 2003

I bought this Quilt In A Day kit in October 2002 during a weekend of quilting workshops held at Orange Coast College. I went with my BQFF Brenda, and we had so much fun – not even the rain could dampen our spirits!

It wasn’t until May 2003 that Brenda suggested we take our kits and make the quilts for Mother’s Day.   So we worked on them at home and also spent a few lunch hours putting our quilts together. 

This pattern turned out to be more difficult than we anticipated.  But with both of us working on our quilts at the same time, we were able to help each other when we ran into a problem.

We were so proud when we finally finished!  She gave her quilt to her mom for Mother’s Day. Sadly, my mom had already passed, so I kept mine until I could find the perfect person to give it to. 

May 2003


UPDATE: My mother was originally from Texas and moved to California when she married my father.  All of my mom’s siblings remained in Texas, and we would visit every year.  I had two aunts who never married, and they became surrogate moms to all the cousins.

So I gave my quilt to my Auntie Rosie when I visited for the Thanksgiving holiday; and in November 2005, she was the last surviving sibling.  Sadly, she passed away the following year at 93 years of age.

My cousin Tony was like their son and he took good care of our two aunties.  He loved them so much as we all did, but he had a special relationship with them.  I do hope that he and his wife kept this quilt, and they will always treasure it.


No comments: