I have been quilting since 1999 and have decided to keep an online journal of my quilts. In this way, I can document their history and preserve their memory for my family and future generations. Most of my quilts are made as gifts; and with few exceptions, I have taken pictures of my quilts with their recipient. I have also made many charity quilts for Project Linus, Wrapped in Hope and Quilts for Kids.

Please join me for my quilt parade!

Monday, May 31, 2010

My Quilts #54-55 ~ Stack ‘N’ Whack 2004

Stack ‘N’ Whack 2004

In 2003, I learned to make the stack-n-whack blocks in a class at Bearly Stitchin’, an LQS in Pasadena, CA.  I made 12 blocks; and from these, I made two wall-hanging-size quilts, which I completed in 2004.  I LOVE this technique!  It’s amazing to see how each block is so different and just beautiful!

I donated one of the quilts to Rebuilding Together for their Summer Luau fundraising event in August 2004.  And I gave the second quilt to my BFF Vivian, who at the time was the president of the San Gabriel affiliate (see story below).

January 2004


Rebuilding Together is a non-profit program that rehabilitates the homes of elderly or disabled homeowners who are unable to make the repairs themselves.  It is the largest volunteer program in the nation with hundreds of affiliates across the country.

I first became aware of Rebuilding Together when I worked for the City of Monterey Park (1987-1995).  Their affiliate was started by then-Councilmember Judy Chu and was one of the first in the nation.

When I started working for the City of San Gabriel (1995-2008), I saw a need for a Rebuilding Together program.  So with support from city management and City Council, I joined the board of the Monterey Park affiliate, which by then also included East Los Angeles.  We rehabbed our first San Gabriel home in 2000.  

I served as their president between 2001-2003, and by then we had rehabbed about 10 San Gabriel homes.  I was also anxious to hand over this program to the community.  So, in 2004, I started the Central San Gabriel Valley affiliate, which not only included San Gabriel city, but also the adjacent areas of South San Gabriel, Temple City, and El Monte.

In an effort to gradually step away from the program, I asked my BFF Vivian to be the affiliate’s first president while I served as the vice president.  I first met Vivian when she was an RT volunteer for East L.A.  She eventually served on the Monterey Park board when I was president, and we became good friends.

I remained on the RT board until I retired from San Gabriel in 2008. 

No comments: