I have been quilting since 1999 and have decided to keep an online journal of my quilts. In this way, I can document their history and preserve their memory for my family and future generations. Most of my quilts are made as gifts; and with few exceptions, I have taken pictures of my quilts with their recipient. I have also made many charity quilts for Project Linus, Wrapped in Hope and Quilts for Kids.

Please join me for my quilt parade!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

My Quilt #221: David’s Plaid Dorm Quilt 2010

DSC01512

I’d been wanting to make a quilt for my son David for quite some time.  I had a collection of plaids and homespun fabric that I thought he might like, but I couldn’t decide on a pattern that I thought would be to his liking. 

DSC01513

One day I was flipping through my old quilting magazines when I stumbled upon this plaid dorm quilt from a Fons & Porter magazine.

scan0086

Plaid Dorm Quilt from Fons & Porter

I thought this dorm quilt would be perfect since he is now living in a dorm after recently transferring to Cal Berkeley.  I hope this quilt will bring him some warmth and comfort during the cool fall & winter seasons while he’s away from home.DSC01514

The quilt has 168 five-inch finished squares and has a 12 x 14 setting.  It has a soft flannel backing and measures 58” x 66”.  I used Warm & Natural batting and quilted it myself with a simple line design.

DSC01515

I’m very happy with how it turned out and hope that David will treasure it forever!

July 2010

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous quilt for a man. I absolutely love those combinations of plaids.

Erin said...

Hey Rita, had to stop over and see your quilts! This is my favorite one. I have a quilt that is similar in coloring, and the simplicity is beautiful! Your "oops" log cabin quilt is gorgeous!!! Very intricate!

Emelie said...

I love the colors in this one!!