I have been quilting since 1999 and have decided to keep an online journal of my quilts. In this way, I can document their history and preserve their memory for my family and future generations. Most of my quilts are made as gifts; and with few exceptions, I have taken pictures of my quilts with their recipient. I have also made many charity quilts for Project Linus, Wrapped in Hope and Quilts for Kids.

Please join me for my quilt parade!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

My Quilt #224: Patriotic Log Cabin Quilt Top 2010

DSC01570

Hallelujah! My “quilt of errors” is FINALLY finished!  Well, at least the top is finished … I am so happy to finally get it done.  I’m also happy to report that I used up all my patriotic strips/scraps on this top.  Read about my progress here.

DSC01566

I really like the border with the delectable mountain blocks.  This was my first time making the block and had to improvise because I didn’t really have a pattern.  The blocks were not so easy to make and are definitely not perfect.

DSC01569

The top is much bigger than I anticipated, finishing at 85” square.  I’m sure this will nicely cover a queen-size bed.  There are nine blocks with 16 units each; and each block measures 26-1/2 inches.  Can you believe I was originally going to make it with 12 blocks?!  Anyway, making this quilt top was definitely a learning experience.

August 2010

UPDATE:  Sold on eBay in 2011

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Rita,

This has a very southwestern patriotic flare. I really like your use of color. I just recently created a patriotic quilt pattern as part of a new line I am designing. It is nice to see someone else who is also working on patriotic quilts.

Cathy
Cat's Quilt Art

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

What a beauty! Being a Southerner, I have a really affinity for quilts. Quilting is one thing I really wish I had taken the time to learn from my grandmother.

Thanks for visiting the Brambleberry Cottage and for taking the time to comment. ;)


Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I'm completely in awe of your beautiful quilts. I can't do this kind of quilitng to save my life!! The pieces just won't fit together for me!!

Sarahx

Cindy said...

I have lots of admiration for you! Beautiful quilt!!! It is something I don't know how to do but wish I did.

Diane said...

OMGosh... gorgeous quilt Ü I have always admired pretty quilts and the ladies that make them. I have collected probably 10 quilts over the years and I have them displayed in my bedroom.

Emelie said...

Wow! My quilting is nowhere near this complicated & talented. You are awesome! Can't wait to see what else...