I have been quilting since 1999 and have decided to keep an online journal of my quilts. In this way, I can document their history and preserve their memory for my family and future generations. Most of my quilts are made as gifts; and with few exceptions, I have taken pictures of my quilts with their recipient. I have also made many charity quilts for Project Linus, Wrapped in Hope and Quilts for Kids.

Please join me for my quilt parade!

Friday, December 17, 2021

My Quilts #273: Dandy Star Stash Buster Quilt 2021

Dandy Star Stash Buster Quilt

 I started this quilt back in July when I decided to do the stash buster challenge by Border Creek Station.  The challenge is to make at least one block a week so by the end of the year you'll have enough blocks to make a quilt.  Anyone who finishes at least 52 blocks will have their name entered into a drawing for "an amazing gift".

 My original plan was to make 56 blocks with a simple 7x8 setting, but I was inspired to add a ribbon inner border by a quilt I saw online.  After I started working on the twisted ribbon border, I realized I would need more Dandy Star blocks and ended up making 11 more, for a total of 67 blocks.

 

 Each Dandy Star block is 9 inches and, except for the backing, the entire top was made from scraps and yardage in my stash. This is the second top I quilted on my Moxie and did a free-hand overall flower motif.  No prior practice so it's not perfect, but it's all okay.

The backing has a peppermint candy print and I also used this same print for the binding.  The batting is my favorite Warm & Natural, and the quilt measures 72" x 90".

December 2021

No comments: