I have been quilting since 1999 and have decided to keep an online journal of my quilts. In this way, I can document their history and preserve their memory for my family and future generations. Most of my quilts are made as gifts; and with few exceptions, I have taken pictures of my quilts with their recipient. I have also made many charity quilts for Project Linus, Wrapped in Hope and Quilts for Kids.

Please join me for my quilt parade!

Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Quilt #218 ~ Northern Lights Christmas Quilt 2010

DSC01422

One more nickel quilt!  This pattern is Northern Lights, and the quilt measures 47 x 60 inches. 

DSC01418

I made this quilt from a stash of Christmas fabrics that I’ve had for a few years.  I cut up the fabrics into 5-inch squares, found a pattern that I liked, and put it all together into a baggie as a kit. Last year, I pulled out the kit and put the blocks together; but I wasn’t thrilled with the color combo … the background just didn’t seem right … and I put it aside to work on other projects.

DSC01419

Well, 2010 being the year to finish those UFOs, I tackled this project and finally finished it!  But, even when I completed the top, I still wasn’t thrilled with it … it just didn’t sing to me.  I struggled with the borders, and then finally decided, the heck with it, I’ll just make it borderless. 

DSC01420

But now that it’s finished?  It sings loud and proud! I quilted it with an allover heart and loopy design (a nice change over meandering); and the backing is an angel fabric that my BFF found at a garage sale and gave to me for my kids’ quilts. 

DSC01421

I’m donating this quilt to Project Linus; and I think the angels are perfect … and so is this cute fabric with the puppy in a stocking.

DSC01417


Why so many nickel quilts?  A few years back, I decided I needed to tame my fabric stash and had this “brilliant” idea to make kits.  I went through my extensive stash and collection of quilting books and magazines, and started putting fabrics and patterns together.  I then placed these projects into baggies. 

During this time, I also cut up much of my yardage into smaller cuts.  If I had a yard, I cut it into a 1/2 yard and 2 FQs.  If I had 2 yards, I would keep one yard intact.  Sometimes I would cut a 1/2 yard into 5-inch squares, which means I ended up with tons of nickel squares.  And I’m still working my way through these kits!

July 2010

UPDATE:  Sold on eBay in 2011.

2 comments:

Penny said...

That's a good idea of making your own kit from stash and scraps! Thanks for visiting my blog.Your quilts are great. Will be back to browse thru' all!

patchworkdelights said...

Hi Rita

Thank you for posting a comment on my blog.

Your quilts are beautiful!

All the best

Fiona