I have been quilting since 1999 and have decided to keep an online journal of my quilts. In this way, I can document their history and preserve their memory for my family and future generations. Most of my quilts are made as gifts; and with few exceptions, I have taken pictures of my quilts with their recipient. I have also made many charity quilts for Project Linus, Wrapped in Hope and Quilts for Kids.

Please join me for my quilt parade!

Monday, May 31, 2010

My Quilt #62 ~ Cattle Crossing Quilt 2004

Cattle Crossing 2004

I made this quilt for no special reason other than I had a stash of fabric with a farming-cow theme.  I saw this pattern in one of my many quilting books and decided to make it so that I could get rid of use up this fabric.

Ever since I became addicted to quilting, I’d go on fabric-shopping binges.  Yes, I admit it:  I am a “fabric-holic”!  Sometimes I’d buy fabric with a specific project in mind, but most times I’d just buy fabric that caught my eye.  I had a closetful of fabric! 

Some folks may think this is great, but there ARE problems with this.  For starters, I’ll NEVER be able to use it all up in my lifetime … even if I live to be 100!  And, if I didn’t use the fabric right away, it would remain in my stash for years.  By then, it’d be outdated.  Other times, I’d fallen out of love with it. Well, this farming-cow fabric was one of those “What was I thinking?!” fabrics.

I wasn’t sure to who I was going to give this quilt, but I knew sooner or later the right person would come along … and she did.  I gave this quilt to my co-worker and part-time staff Rose for Christmas 2004.  The cow fabric was perfect because she told me her daughter would tease her and call her a “cow” (can you guess why?).

June 2004

No comments: