I have been quilting since 1999 and have decided to keep an online journal of my quilts. In this way, I can document their history and preserve their memory for my family and future generations. Most of my quilts are made as gifts; and with few exceptions, I have taken pictures of my quilts with their recipient. I have also made many charity quilts for Project Linus, Wrapped in Hope and Quilts for Kids.

Please join me for my quilt parade!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Quilt #6 ~ Uncle Sam’s Star 2000

Uncle Sam’s Star 2000

I saw this quilt in an issue of “American Patchwork & Quilting” (see original pattern below) and knew I had to make it to celebrate the Fourth of July. I started piecing it in June, hoping to complete it by the 4th. Even though I missed the deadline, I was still able to complete it by the end of July.

 American Patchwork & Quilting ~ June 2000


The quilt is composed of twelve “Uncle Sam’s Star Blocks” (12-in. square), ten “Flag Blocks”, and fifteen “Variable Stars” (4-in square). It is machine quilted by me and measures 62 x 86”.

clip_image002

By far, this quilt had been my most challenging due to the number of star blocks.  My blocks did not come out the same size, so the bottom sashing of the two outside columns does not match (you can see in the picture that one is wider than the other).  Plus, I ran out of the white background fabric so there are two different shades. 

Overall, I was pretty proud of myself; but those “flaws” annoyed me.  Even so, every year I would bring it out for the Memorial and July 4th holidays.  But those “flaws” kept gnawing at me, and in 2007 I sold it on eBay for $35.00 ~ *gasp!* What was I thinking?!  Even with its flaws and cheap material, it’s still a stunning quilt … I hope the one who bought it will treasure it. 

I have decided that I must make another to replace it … maybe next year!

No comments: