I have been quilting since 1999 and have decided to keep an online journal of my quilts. In this way, I can document their history and preserve their memory for my family and future generations. Most of my quilts are made as gifts; and with few exceptions, I have taken pictures of my quilts with their recipient. I have also made many charity quilts for Project Linus, Wrapped in Hope and Quilts for Kids.

Please join me for my quilt parade!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My Quilt #207 ~ Tillie’s Treasures Quilt 2010



This is another Nickel Quilt using fabrics from my stash.  I’ve had some of these fabrics for YEARS and I am still trying to use them all up.  They are so outdated, but I promised myself I’d use up these old fabrics before I bought new fabric.

DSC00889
DSC00890


I’ve made several quilts from Pat Speth’s Nickel Quilt books, but I must say this one was quite the challenge.  It was my problem child!  The technique was not difficult, but cutting & sewing all those 2-1/2” squares and half-square triangles was time-consuming… not to mention that I had to be careful when sewing the blocks together.

Of course, I was in a hurry to finish … too bad I made a mistake when I laid out the design and didn’t notice until after I had sewn several rows.  I had to “unsew” everything then lay it out right, and then sew it all up again.  I was fed up!  I put it away for a few weeks before finally finishing it up.

I machine-quilted it myself with an all-over meander/loopy design.  And, I used a thrift-store twin sheet for the backing … it was like-new and it worked out pretty good! 

DSC00891

The quilt is completely finished, although I don’t have a picture with its binding.  And, in spite of everything, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.  This quilt belongs in my personal collection.

February 2010

UPDATE: I gifted this quilt to my niece Lisa, who loves to cook.  She made a traditional Mexican family dinner, complete with pan dulce, menudo, carnitas, lengua, tamales, plus champurrado and hot chocolate. We had a wonderful time filled with laughter and great memories! ~ November 7, 2015

No comments: